14 January Current Affairs: Today’s Current Affairs for Competative Exams – Bank, SSC, Vyapam, PSC
Table Of Content
Current Affairs National
Google Doodle pays tribute to Mahasweta Devi
- Google Doodle celebrated 92nd birth Anniversary of Padma Shree Awardee Mahasweta Devi.
- She was a Bengali writer and social activist and worked for rights and empowerment of tibal people.
- She received Jnanpith Award, Ramon Magsaysay, Padma Shri, Padma Vibhushan for her notable literary works.
BCI representatives meets Supreme Court Judges
- Representatives of Bar Council of India (BCI) meets Supreme Court Judges to discuss over the disputes between SC judges.
Israeli PM arrives for a 6 day visit to India
- Prime Ministers Narendra Modi broke protocol to welcome Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his wife Sara in Delhi.
- The visit by an Israel PM happened after a long gap of 15 years.
WEF’s global manufacturing Index and Rankings
- World Economic Fund (WEF) ranked India at 30th position in its global manufacturing index.
- The list is topped by Japan.
- Other countries which are in top 10 are South Korea, Germany, Switzerland, China Czech Republic, US, Sweden, Austria and Ireland.
By 2040 India’s Oil Demand to rise to 500 million tonnes
- Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan said that India’s demand may increase to 500 million tonnes by 2040 and to achieve the increasing demand India should increase it oil refining capacity.
- Presently India has a capacity to refine 247 million metric tonnes per year.
- He said during the inauguration of 22nd refining and Petrochemicals Technology meet in Bhubaneshwar.
Chennai Metro Rail Limited installs Carbon-di-Oxide Sensors
- Chennai Metro Rail Ltd. installed CO2 sensors at underground stations to control air quality.
- “The sensors are installed to ensure comfort of commutators though each may wait at underground station for a maximum of 10 minutes” said an official.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Government resumes coin production but at a slow pace
- Government asked SPMCIL to start coin minting but at a slower pace.
- Government has halted coin production due to lack of storage space and excess in market.
Imp Note: SPMCIL- Security Printing and Minting Corporation of India.
World to recalculate nations ranking
- World bank will recalculate ease of doing business rankings.
- “I want to make a personal apology to Chile, and to any other country where we conveyed the wrong impression,” says chief economist Paul Romer.
Facebook may loose 23 billion dollars after Newsfeed Feature Change
- Facebook may loose up to $23 billion if it makes a change in Newsfeed feature as its shares fell 4% after announcement.
- New feature will include more updates from family and friends rather than from other sources.
Imp Note: Facebook CEO : Mark Zuckerberg
Current Affairs Sports
India beats Bangladesh in Blind World Cup Match
- India registered a 10 wickets win against Bangladesh in Blind World Cup Cricket Tournament.
- Bangladesh batting first scored 226/8 and in reply India chased it in 18.4 overs.
Yuki Bhambri qualifies for Australian Open
- Yuki Bhambri qualifies for Australian Open tennis Tournament by beating Canadian player Peter Polansky.
India beats Australia in opening match of U19 World Cup
- India thrashed Australia by 100 runs in their first match of Under 19 World Cup.
- India’s score was 328/7 while Australia lost all their wickets for 228 runs in 42.5 overs.
- Prithvi Shaw- 94 runs and Manjot Kalra -86 runs were star performers.
Current Affairs World
7.3 magnitude earthquake in Peru
- A earthquake of magnitude 7.3 strike Peru whose epicenter was 42 km southwest of Acari.
- However no causalities or damages were reported.
Pegasus Airlines plane skids of runway
- Plane of Pegasus Airlines skids of runway and got stuck in mud at Turkey’s Trabzon Airport.
- The passengers were unhurt and were evacuated safely.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous (Science, Technology etc.)
Google acquires startup Redux
- Google acquired UK’s startup Redux which make technology which turns screen into speakers.
- The startup uses tech which uses vibrations to turn screens into speakers.
NASA discovers farthest galaxy
- NASA discovered farthest galaxy in the world. It is less than 2500 light years.
- The name of the galaxy is SPT0615-JD and 500 million years old.