17 January Current Affairs: Today’s Current Affairs for Competitive Exams – Bank, SSC, Vyapam, PSC
Table Of Content
Current Affairs National
PM Modi and Israeli PM inaugurates iCreate Centre in Gujarat
- PM Narendra Modi and Israeli PM Netanyahu inaugurated iCreate centre at Deo Dholem village in Ahmadabad.
- Isareli PM and his wife Sara also visited Sabarmati Ashram.
India-US joint Military Exercise ‘Vajra Prahar’ to be held in Seattle
- Joint Military Exercise ‘Vajra Prahar’ will be held in third week of January at Joint Base Lewis-McChord(JBLM) in Seattle.
- 45-member Special Forces team from Indian Army’s Southern Command will train alongside US soldiers.
- ‘Vajra Prahar’ is Special Forces joint training exercise conducted alternately in India and the US.
Birds Society of AndraPradesh(BSAP) to conduct Bird Census
- BSAP will conduct waterbirds census in at least 100 wetlands in AndraPradesh and Telangana.
- The census which is scheduled between 21-29 January will also count Migratory Birds.
460 Indian Citizens deported from US
- Number of deported Indian citizens from increased from 353 in 2016 to 460 in 2017.
- Tougher implementation of immigration laws in the U.S. in presidency of Donald Trump has resulted 30% increase in arrests of illegal citizens.
Defence Minister flies in Indian Air Force combat jet Sukhoi-30 MKI
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman flied in IAF’s combat jet Sukhoi-30 MKI aircraft on 17 January 2018 in Jodhpur.
- Imp Note: Nirmala Sitharaman is India’s first woman defence minister.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Grab, a Southeast Asian ride app acquires Indian payment startup iKaaz
- Grab acquired a Bengaluru startup iKaaz to increase its digital payment platform GrabPay.
- Founded in 2011, Grab has expanded its operations in six countries Singapore, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Sensex reaches above 35,000 for first time
- Sensex jumped 310.77 points to reach all time high of 35081.82
- It is the first time ever it crossed 35,000 mark.
‘Samsung Mall’ App launched in India
- Samsung launched a shopping app and service called ‘Samsung Mall’ and new Smartphone Samsung GalaxyOn7 in India.
- The app will provide visual searching of productsvonline and a interface to shop across different e-commerce like Amazon, Flipkart etc.
Current Affairs Sports
South Africa wins second test against India
- South Africa won the test played at Centurion by 135 runs and now have lead of 2-0 in 3 test series.
- India lost all wicktes for 151 runs while chasing 287.
Brazilian Footballer Ronaldino retires
- Brazilian Footballer legend announced his retirement from football on Tuesday.
- He played in team which won Football World Cup in 2002.
Indian Hockey team registers 6-0 win over Japan
- India registered a 6-0 win over Japan in opening match of 4-Nation hockey tournament in Tauranga, New Zealand.
- India’s next match is with Belgium on 18 January.
Current Affairs World
UK minister appointed as world’s first ever Minister for Loneliness
- UK PM Theresa May appointed one of her minister, Tracey Crouch as ‘Minister of Loneliness’.
- Tracey Crouch will lead on issues connected to loneliness.
China constructs World’s Biggest Air Purifier
- China has built World’s Biggest Air purifier measuring 328-foot.
- It has produced more than 10 million cubic meters of clean air since it started functioning.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous (Science, Technology etc.)
Hike new service allows user to make payments without Internet
- Hike launched new feature named ‘Total’ which lets user to read news, make payments and send message without Internet.
- Hike partnered with Intex and Karbonn this feature is avail to android user.
American Technology Company Microsoft tops list of Top 100 Global Technology Leaders
- Microsoft tops Thomson Reuters top 100 global tech leaders list.Apple and Alphabet also made it to top 10.
- Thomson Reuters Corporation (TRI.TO) on Wednesday published its “Top 100 Global Technology Leaders” list.
Imp Note: CEO of Microsoft-Satya Nadella
- Also Read: 16 January Current Affairs