24 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs for Competitive Exams – Daily GK Digest
Read Latest Current Affairs 2018 for All Competitive Exams like UPSC, State Civil Services like – RAS, PMPSC, TNPSC, IAS, RRB etc. Our Daily Current Affairs Digest will also help for aspirants preparing for banking exams IBPS PO Clerk, SBI, RBI in current affairs sections.You can keep track of all your old posts month wise – All Current Affairs Post Month Wise . Our current Affairs Bulletin includes articles from National Events, New Government Schemes and initiatives, New Appointments along with important international affairs, Sports, Business, Banking Current Affairs, Science and Tech which are useful for all government job aspirants and private Job aspirants.
Table Of Content
Current Affairs National
BJP gains 11 seats in Rajya Sabha, Congress loses 4
- The BJP has made a significant gain of 11 additional seats while the Congress made an overall loss of four in the biennial elections to 58 Rajya Sabha seats, consolidating the saffron party’s position in the House and leaving its main rival far behind.
- The BJP’s 28 candidates emerged victorious in the polls held on March 23 against 17 retiring members, while the Congress won only 10 seats while 14 of its members will retire next week.
Telangana slashes VAT on aviation fuel by 15%
- In a move likely to increase air traffic at the Hyderabad airport, Telangana industries minister KT Rama Rao on Friday announced a slash in Value Added Tax (VAT) on Aviation Turbine Fuel (ATF).
- The minister said VAT had been cut down to 1% from 16%.
Karnataka government declares minority status to Lingayats community
- The Karnataka Government on Friday declared minority status to the Lingayats community.
- This comes days after the Chief Minister Siddaramaiah-led government accepted the suggestions of Nagamohan Das committee to grant a separate religion status to the Lingayats community.
First ‘Indian Sign Language’ Dictionary Of 3000 Words Launched In Delhi
- Thaawarchand Gehlot, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, on Friday launched the first ‘Indian Sign Language Dictionary’.
- The dictionary comprises 3000 words. The dictionary was developed by Indian Sign Language Research & Training Centre (ISLR&TC) under Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD), M/o Social Justice & Empowerment.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Reliance Jio, Saavn to merge digital music services
- In a deal led by Reliance Jio director Akash Ambani, Reliance Industries Ltd on Friday signed an agreement to combine its digital music service JioMusic with streaming app Saavn.
- “The combined entity is valued at over $1 billion, with JioMusic’s implied valuation at $670 million,” the statement said.
ABFL’s merger with Allahabad Bank gets nod
- State-run Allahabad Bank on Wednesday said the Ministry of Corporate Affairs has allowed the amalgamation of its wholly own subsidiary – All Bank Finance Ltd (ABFL)-with the lender.
- The bank’s board had approved the proposed merger in December 2016.
Current Affairs Sports
Lewis Hamilton breaks records to take pole in Australian GP
- Lewis Hamilton claimed a record-breaking seventh pole at the Australian Grand Prix after a lap record in Melbourne on Saturday.
- The Mercedes star appeared set for a battle to claim pole at Albert Park, but he produced an incredible lap late in Q3.
- Hamilton’s time of one minute, 21.164 seconds left his rivals behind, with Ferrari duo Kimi Raikkonen (+0.664s) and Sebastian Vettel (+0.674s) second and third respectively.
Manu Bhaker wins gold in ISSF Junior World Cup shooting
- Manu Bhaker continued her terrific run of form, again claiming the individual as well as team gold medal, while Gaurav Rana bagged a silver, as Indian shooters set the stage ablaze in the ISSF Junior World Cup in Sydney on Saturday.
- The 16-year-old Manu clinched the individual gold medal after prevailing over Thailand’s Kanyakorn Hirunphoem in a thrilling final of the women’s 10m air pistol event.
- Manu shot 235.9 to finish top of the podium, while Hirunphoem had to be contend with silver after scoring 234.9.
Current Affairs World
Singapore wins sixth consecutive title of ‘world’s best airport’
- Singapore’s Changi Airport has been named “world’s best airport” for the sixth consecutive year by Skytrax.
- This is the ninth time the Singapore airport has won the top international title since 2000.
- The airport was also named the best for leisure amenities.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
Lalu Prasad sentenced to 14 years in prison in fourth fodder scam case
- Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) supremo Lalu Prasad has been sentenced to 14 years in prison — seven under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and seven under the Prevention of Corruption Act, in a fodder scam case.
- Both the sentences will have to be served consecutively, said the Special CBI court of Justice Shivpal Singh in Ranchi.
- He has also been fined ₹60 lakh.
YouTube reaches 80% of internet users in India
- With the increasing penetration of smartphones, data becoming affordable and ever-growing availability of content, 80% of internet users across all age-groups in the country are accessing YouTube, Google India said on Friday.
JNU professor to be the new VC of Banaras Hindu University
- Rakesh Bhatnagar, a professor of biotechnology at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), has been appointed as vice-chancellor of Banaras Hindu University in Varanasi on Friday.
World Tuberculosis Day: India working to be TB-free by 2025
- On World Tuberculosis (TB) Day, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday urged citizens and organisations to take the lead to end the disease.
- “While the world has set a target of 2030 for TB elimination, we in India want to become TB-free by 2025! At the recent Delhi End TB Summit, I spoke more about the subject,” he said in a tweet attaching a news report of about his speech on TB on March 13.
Also Read Complete Month GK Post :
Month March, 2018
- 23 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 22 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 21 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 20 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 19 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 18 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 17 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 16 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 15 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 14 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 13 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 12 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 11 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 6-10 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 5 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 4 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 3 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 2 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 1 March 2018 GK and Current Affairs