Today’s Current Affairs : 12 January 2018
Table Of Content
- 1 Today’s 12 January Current affairs important Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams
- 1.1 Current Affairs National
- 1.2 Launch of Satellite Cartosat-2
- 1.3 National Youth Festival 2018
- 1.4 Disputes in Supreme Court judges
- 1.5 New Passports can’t be used as Address Proof
- 1.6 Women BSF- Daredevil biker team to make debut on Republic Day
- 1.7 Restrictions on use of Plastic Flag
- 1.8 Black money seized in Delhi
- 2 Current Affairs Economic and Business
- 3 Appointments
- 4 Sports
- 5 Current Affairs Important Days
- 6 Other Important Current Affairs (Science, International, visits, etc.)
Today’s 12 January Current affairs important Current Affairs for all Competitive Exams
Current Affairs National
Launch of Satellite Cartosat-2
- ISRO’s PSLV-C40 successfully launched cartosat-2 series satellite along with 30 co-passenger satellite.
- It is launched today at 09:29 am from the First Launch Pad (FLP) of Satish Dhawan Space Centre from Sri-Harikota.
- PSLV or Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle carried total 31 satellites (3 from India and 28 International customer satellites).
- The overall weight of all the 31 satellites carried by launch vehicle is about 1323 kg.
- The primary satellite carried by PSLV-C40 is Cartosat-2 Series Satellite which is a remote sensing satellite and will augment data services to the users.
- Narendra Modi congratulated ISRO scientists on successful launch of Cartosat-2.
National Youth Festival 2018
- National Youth Festival 2018 will be held at Gautam Buddha University in Greater Noida from 12 to 16 January.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the NYF via video conferencing.
- The inaugural Function of festival was presided by UP CM Yogi Adityanath, Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Col. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore.
- Mahesh Sharma, Union Minister for culture(Independent Charge) was the guest of honour for the festival.
- NYF is held every year on birth anniversary of youth icon Swami Vivekananda.
Disputes in Supreme Court judges
- Four senior judges of Supreme Court complained about Chief Justice of India Deepak Mishra.
- In a recent Media Addressing senior judges complained about ‘selective assignment of cases’ by Chief Justice of India.
New Passports can’t be used as Address Proof
- The External Affairs Ministry has announced that new issued Indian passports will no longer be used as address proofs.
- The last page which carries the holder’s address will no longer be printed which makes it a invalid address proof.
- However, no timeline has been announced by the authorities for the implementation of new rules.
Women BSF- Daredevil biker team to make debut on Republic Day
- A newly raised women all biker team by Border Security Force to make debut on 26th Jan.
- It would be the first time Indian Women bikers will be part of Republic Day parade.
Restrictions on use of Plastic Flag
- Government urged citizens to not use plastic flag.
- It also directed states and union territories to take necessary steps in this direction.
Black money seized in Delhi
- The Income Tax department had seized black money worth 61 crore against illegal private vaults in Delhi.
Current Affairs Economic and Business
Inflation and Industrial Growth before budget
- The Index of Industrial Production (IIP) published the industrial growth of India to be 8.4%.
- Whereas the rate of retail inflation increased to 5.21% in December from its previous value of 4.88%.
- In past 2 years the shares of cryptocurrencies have risen by 218,000%.
- Cryptocurrency is a digital or virtual currency which uses cryptography for security.
- Learn more about cryptocurrency : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptocurrency
Rise in Infosys net profit
- Infosys, the IT giant had reported a 38.8% year-on-year increase in its net profit.
- The revenue of the company has also increased by 3%.
Chhattisgarh gets new chief secretary
- Senior IAS officer Ajay Singh will be the New Chief Secretary of Chhattisgarh.
- He will be succeeding Vivek Dhand.
India’s “Chef de Mission” for Winter Olympics
- IOA, Indian Olympic Association appointed Harjinder Singh as the Chef de Mission for Winter Olympic Games
- 23rd Winter Olympic Games will held in South Korea in February.
Karun Nair hits 48 ball century
- In the ongoing Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy Karnataka’s batsman Karun Nair scored 100 runs in just 48 ball.
- His century helped Karnataka to win the match by 78 runs against Tamil Nadu.
- Score of Karnataka -179/9
- Score of Tamil Nadu-101 all out
Youngest Top-Test ranked bowler
- South Africa’s 22 year old bowler Kagiso Rabada becomes the youngest top-ranked test bowler.
Top Seeds named for Australian Open 2018
- World’s Top ranked tennis player Rafael Nadal and Australian Open 2017 winner Roger Federer have been named as the first and second seeds for Australian Open 18.
- Australian Open 2018 will be commencing from 15th January.
Current Affairs Important Days
National Youth Day
- Every year 12th Jan celebrated as National Youth Day to mark the birth anniversary of social reformer Swami Vivekananda.
- In 1984 the Government of India declared this day as National Youth Day.
- Swami Vivekananda was a social reformer, thinker and a patriotic saint who made youth aware about nationalism pre-independence.
- Source: http:/
Other Important Current Affairs (Science, International, visits, etc.)
- In a recent Gallup International Survey Indian PM Modi ranked Third.
- He is ahead of both US President Trump and Russian President Putin.
- The list is topped by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
India’s help to Sri Lanka
- India granted financial help of Rs. 288 crore to Sri Lanka for developing its Kankesanthurai Harbor into a commercial port.
- This will help the our neighboring country to become a regional maritime hub said Indian High Commission.
Visit of Israel’s Prime Minister to India
- On the invitation of PM Modi Prime Minister of Israel, Mr.Benjamin Netanyahu will visit India from 14 to 19 January.
- Both sides are expected to conclude MoUs in areas of film production and energy.
International Dharma-Dhamma Conference
- On Thursday the fourth international conference on “State and social Order in Dhamma-Dharma Tradition” was inaugurated by Indian President at Rajgir in Nalanda district of Bihar.
- It will be held from 11 to 13 January.